How will you make 2018 a year to remember? Five essential steps to turn your New Year’s resolutions into business resultsJanuary 8, 2018
Here we are at the beginning of a new year with lots of advice and articles about how to make this the best year yet. Rather than comparing years and adding the pressure to make it the best year ever – I recommend looking at what it will take to make 2018 a successful year that truly produces the results you seek and the mind-set you desire with fun, freedom, and fulfillment. I have outlined five essential steps to make 2018 a year worth remembering – in a good way!
- Reflection & Introspection — Begin with the end in mind – Set aside some time for introspection and visualize yourself one year from now. It’s January, 2019 – what is going on with your business? What are you looking back and celebrating from 2018? What milestones have you crossed? Who are your best clients or your favorite projects? How did you get out of your comfort zone? What have you done for fun? Think about your relationships, family, friends, giving back to the community, etc. How about your health: body, mind, spirit? Visualize a year that you have really enjoyed and determine what specifically has made it so excellent. Write this down to give you the insights for designing from the future back to the present – what has to happen in the first and second quarters to achieve these results in the 4th? What about next month, next week?
- Review 2017 – What worked? What didn’t? Be really honest with yourself – and thorough. This is not the time to gloss over things that were challenging, but to look at what were the biggest insights. What were your biggest accomplishments – the celebrations, and your most important lessons from the previous year? Again, write them down.
- Actions to take Write down what actions you need to take based on what you learned, where you want to go, what you are ready to accomplish. Once you create goals and make them SMART (specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, and time-bound) it’s essential to plan out the actions needed and then to get into action! Schedule those action steps on a quarterly, monthly, weekly and daily basis.
- Accountability – what practices will you commit to – how will you stay on track and how will you begin each day? Most successful business leaders have a daily practice which includes exercise, meditation, planning and deep thinking. Will you work with an accountability buddy, a business coach? Will you use a planner, reminders on your phone, digital calendar? I recommend using a combination of all of the above. Find a system that works and stick with it! This is the place where most people get off track. The planning can be the easy part but its sticking-to-it that makes the difference and creates habits of success.
- Review/ Revise / Recommit – it’s essential to regularly review your progress – review your goals every 90 days – or more often. Review annual goals based on your 90 day reality, recommit to your vision and address habits or practices that may require more discipline, and revise your plan as needed. Make this a working document that you can adjust but also holds you accountable to stay on track.
Some of these steps may seem time consuming at the beginning, but are certainly well-worth it for the outcome. After all, if you want different results, then you need to do things differently. Here’s to a year of success in all you pursue!
Kim Ellet is a certified professional coach and owner of The Growth Coach of Metro Atlanta. She finds joy in helping successful leaders committed to continuous improvement, be more of who they are, dream bigger dreams, and accomplish more than they realized was possible. www.TheGrowthCoachATL.com